MUSIC: New Ballet Music 13, Track 4
LENGTH: 8 minutes, 09 seconds
PURPOSE OF THIS EXERCISE: Teaches you how to work on the diagonal while making battements tendu forward & back; and how to stretch your body and become more flexible.
DEFINITIONS: Battement (bat-MAHN). Beating. A beating action of the extended leg; Tendu (tahn-DEW). Battement stretched.
DESCRIPTION: Part One: Instructions from Finis Jhung; Part Two: Melissa Elstein performs the exercise with the music playing and Finis standing by and coaching.
- Teaches you how to find your diagonal positioning and maintain it so you won’t get confused when you are in center floor
- Shows you how to strengthen your supporting side and work your free foot so it becomes more flexible and strong
- Includes full body stretches that make your body more expressive and increase your range of movement
AUDIENCE: The adult ballet beginner who wants to improve and get stronger.
TRAINING REQUIRED: None, although you’ll get more out of this exercise if you’ve already worked with my video Ballet Barre for The Adult Absolute Beginner
EQUIPMENT: A barre or a high-backed sturdy chair, a full-length mirror
Play the DVD in 3 modes: Full Class, Individual Exercises or Workout Mode where you can run the exercises without instruction. Once you’ve learned the exercise and heard the instructions, you may want to go straight to the demonstration with music so you can have a work-out without interruption.
Available on these DVDs
- Absolute Beginner Ballet Group Class 1
- Beginner Ballet Barre
- Ballet Barre for the Adult Absolute Beginner
- Ballet Barre Stretch & Strength
- Basic Ballet Movement Skills 1
- Basic Ballet Movement Skills 2
- Basic Ballet Movement Skills 3
- The Boy Ballet Dancer
- The Center Floor Ballet Warm-up
- Get on Your Leg & Dance!
- Meditative Stretching
- The Ten-Minute Ballet Break
- The Ten-Minute Stretch Break
- Use Your Arms & Dance!
- Use Your Head & Turn!
The following DVDs don’t have the SPECIAL FEATURE but do allow you to skip the Instructions and go straight to the demonstration with music by using the SKIP FORWARD button:
- The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique: Stretch, Turn-out, & Extension
- The Finis Jhung Ballet Technique: The Power Barre
Streaming videos do not offer multiple playback modes. Each DVD chapter/exercise is presented as an individual video. To advance between chapters, the user is required to manually click the exercise video they wish to play. Unfortunately, auto-advance is not available at this time.
About your purchasing choices…
FJ Streaming Singles We have released several brief videos (for example, our Foot Strength and Dance at Home series) which are only available to stream online. You will not receive a DVD, but may watch instantly upon completing your purchase.
DVDs vs. Streaming
You’ll notice you have purchasing options on nearly all of the Finis Jhung Instructional Videos:
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.